What Are Skin Types and How to Determine Your Skin Type
How Many Skin Types Are There?
There are five main skin types: Normal, dry, oily, combination and sensitive. Understanding the different types of skin will give you a better idea of how to treat acne breakouts and reveal smooth, clear skin.
Your skin type is determined by your genetics. However, there are habits that can exacerbate a skin condition. Pinpointing your skin type and understanding ways to properly treat it can help you achieve clear, health skin.
This article helps you learn more about skin types and how to best take care of each one.
- Normal Skin
Normal skin is the ideal skin. It is soft in texture and smooth. Its pores are narrow and free from lesions such as blackheads or blemishes.
- Dry Skin
This skin type produces less sebum than normal skin. These results in a deficiency of the lipids it needs to retain moisture and build a protective shield against external influences, it usually appears flaky.
- Oily Skin
Oily skin is usually acne-prone. It usually produces an excessive amount of sebum causing it to have a shiny complexion.
- Combination Skin
Combination skin combines the characteristics of oily skin and dry skin at the same time. Some areas of the face have oily skin characteristics while other parts have dry skin properties.
- Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin is usually dry at all times. Irritation and hyper pigmentation can occur quite often after using any make up, cosmetics, or other products that contain preservatives.
Taking Care of Your Skin At Home
- Clean your skin with water and a face wash that suits your skin type. Preferably, change your skincare routine from time to time.
- Good nutrition. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables; try to stay away from fast food which tends to be high in sodium and saturated fats. Drink plenty of water every day. This will help you keep your skin looking fresh and dewy.
- Take special care of the sensitive areas of your face like your eyes and mouth. The skin around your eyes is ten times thinner than on the rest of the face. This is why it has products made especially for it.
- Apply sunscreen generously before going outdoors and reapply it every 2 hours. It takes approximately 15 minutes for your skin to absorb the sunscreen and protect your skin.
Other Skin Care Tips:
- Keep your skin moisturized
- Always remove your makeup before going to bed. Use a suitable make up remover for your skin types.
- Exfoliate once or twice a week
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid bathing or washing your skin using hot water
- Eat foods that contain omega-3
- Always moisturize your skin using lip balm
- Get enough sleep
- Quit smoking
- Choose a hair-removing method that doesn’t irritate your skin
- Do not pick on your acne
- Finally, consult your dermatologist if you notice any changes to your skin